POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Surface of a sphere : Surface of a sphere Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:23:19 EDT (-0400)
  Surface of a sphere
From: Andrew Cocker
Date: 21 Feb 1999 15:34:47
Message: <36d06de7.0@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I'm not sure how to describe what I want to be able to do, but I'll try.
Lets say that I create, by CSG, a shape that can be described thus:
Start with a sphere. On the surface, describe a square equivalent to 18 degrees of the
entire sphere, then narrow it until at the centre it becomes zero. What I'm trying to
describe is a segment or wedge.
What I want to know is..what is the math that would allow me to reconstruct a sphere
out
of these pieces. I could type each rotation by hand, but I want to be able to apply
random
scaling with regards to the radius of the sphere that each segment originates from. By
that I mean that one segment could have come from a sphere with radius 1, while
another
could have come from a sphere with radius 1.4 etc...so the end result would be a
sphere
made up of segments varying in height, but all being 18 degrees of the entire surface.

I apologise if my explanation is unclear. If you don't understand, then let me know
and
I'll try again. This sounds to me like a candidate for a macro ( but I don't at the
moment
know where to begin ). My main problem is that I can't work out how to make sure every
space is occupied by a segment. Although it would probably look good if not every
space
*was* occupied.

Thanks in advance if anyone can come up with any suggestions.

Andy